Hi everyone! Jessica the Sewing Rabbit here, and I am so happy to be here as part of Caroline’s 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Series! I don’t know about you, but I always love a good handmade ornament.
Mittens Ornament DIY
I love handmade ornaments because they can be used in so many ways, they make great present toppers, stocking stuffers, teacher’s gifts, last minute presents for the neighbors, and more! The handmade mittens ornament is super easy to whip up, and a great fabric scrap stash buster. Let me show you just how easy they are to make.
- Materials: Scrap Fabric, Scrap White Felt, Ribbon, and basic sewing essentials.
- Cut (4) Basic mitten shapes from the scrap fabric, and (4) basic mitten shapes from the felt.
- Place (2) scrap fabric mitten shapes right sides together, and sew around sides. Place (2) felt mitten shapes right sides together, and sew around sides – leaving a 2″ opening for turning later. Clip edges and turn right sides out.
- Place the felt mitten around the fabric mitten, right sides together. Pin around top edge, matching up side seams, and sew. Pull mitten out through opening in felt mitten, whipstitch opening closed, and push lining inside of fabric mitten. Repeat steps 3 thru 4 for other mitten.
- Cut a piece of ribbon about 8″ long, and sew to top edge of each mitten.
And you are finished!
Hang and enjoy!
Thanks so much for having me here today Caroline, I have loved all of the wonderful holiday gift ideas from this Series. There is nothing quite like a handmade Christmas.