12 Days of Handmade Gifts: Day ELEVEN, Heather from Feathers Flights
**UPDATE: This post has been updated and will hopefully answer your questions in the comments… THANKS HEATHER! :D**
Adjustable One-Seam “No-Flashing” Wrap Skirt
I am so excited to be here today! Caroline is so sweet and fun, and I have loved all the DIY Christmas gift inspiration. I am Heather “Feather,” and I blog over at Feathers Flights. I love sewing, mostly apparel, and I love my family: a great hubby, a fun two year old boy, and baby girl on the way.
I’ve had an idea for a circle wrap skirt developing in my head for the last couple of months. I wanted to make a skirt that was easy, adjustable and child friendly. This skirt is so adjustable that you won’t be offending anyone if you give it as a gift. It’s really quick because there is only ONE SEAM to sew and no hems or edge finishes!
Even when I lift the part that wraps, nothing is uncomfortable flashed underneath!
Use this diagram to cut out your skirt. You will need two of each for one skirt. You’ll have to put in your own measurements. *When you are cutting from 1/4 height to the center waist circle, cut a tail from the inside circle for the tie.*
Here is a simple chart for quick radius measurements. Pick something in between or the next measurement up.
Waist or Hip Circumference
Radius for ½ Circle Skirt
Radius for Full Circle Skirt
1. Using diagram cut out two pieces of the half circle skirt or the full circle skirt.
2. Sew the one long seam right sides together.
To put on your skirt:
1. Find the seam and put it on one side.
2. Grab the side that will go across your front and warp it all the way around until it meets with the seam. Hold the seam and one wrapped side with one hand.
3. Grab the other side and wrap it around your back to the front until it meets with the seam.
4. Your two ties meet over your seam. Tie them in a bow or knot.
This skirt is very comfortable and works throughout and after a pregnancy. The navy blue wrap skirt was worn by me AND my SIL who definitely isn’t pregnant
Who wouldn’t love a new skirt? And you don’t even have to tell them how easy it was for you to make!
You can play with the length for a fun maxi, midi, or mini skirt.
I had to include some fun bloopers. I had a hard time posing with my belly!